Thursday, February 08, 2007

Golden showers triangle business improvement district

I will temporarily cease my flagellation of my back in front of my Anna Nicole Smith shrine to post...

So, these "business improvement districts" that have come into being in the past five years or so are generally a good thing. They put folks in handy trusty uniforms on the street level, so Joe Tourist can ask them directional questions and leave me the heck alone.

That is, they are a good thing in that capacity; what I don't like is when the "Ambassadors" hit the streets. The intersection closest to my office, Connecticut and K Streets, is a busy intersection, perhaps one of the city's biggest.

Some time in the past 6 months or so, they started placing a couple of people there to direct traffic, even though there is a light there. It started in the morning and evening rush times, and now, I noticed today, it is an all day thing. Not too much of a worry, except that they have whistles, and they USE them. Continuously, all day.

Today, I had to pick something up a block up K Street, so had to cross the intersection. Not only did the guy scream at me for walking during the walk cycle; he wanted to let cars turn from K onto Connecticut, but then when he let us walk he screamed at me to move (the two feet) into the crosswalk (which is 15 feet wide there).

These people need to be stopped. The damn whistles all day long are annoying enough, but now they are getting nasty. Lord, increase folks minimum wage, and they get all uppity... ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home