Tuesday, March 11, 2008

100 things about me

Totally stolen from someone else... I really don't have time to do this today, but since I would rather do ANYTHING than what I have to do for work...

1. I was born on May 18th in 1965. It was the same day President Lyndon B. Johnson officially annouced the creation of the Head Start program during a speech in the White House Rose Garden.
2. My first pet that I remember was a gerbil, I have no idea what I named him. My first dog was a collie mutt mix I got when I was 10 named Sandy. Hardest I have ever cried was when I had to put down Sandy (by myself) after college while I still lived at home.
3. I grew up in Springfield, thinking that I was completely cosmopolitan. I return there now and am completely mortified.
4. I was born in Alexandria, Virginia.
5. I'm a fierce and protective friend when my own friends are threatened. I had a larger friend in college who used to be treated rudely often by people, and I would often get into fights for her sake.
6. I was more outgoing in college than I am now.
7. My first (real) alcohol was my senior year Spring Break and we drank Chivas Regal and Sprite. I still cannot smell the stuff without my stomach turning.
8. I attended and graduated from Radford University.
9. Our mascot was the Highlander, a scottish man in kilts. Yeah, I know!
10. I graduated with a BBA in Accounting. Well, after a two year stint as a Chemistry major that lasted until Organic Chem did me in.
11. I have lots of plants, two dogs, and a cat. Dogs are Smokey and Maxine, cat is Ginger.
12. I would love to have more plants, but Ken would kill me.
13. My two dogs are aging, and I fully expect to have to deal with some of their health issues in the coming year.
14. When I am with my friend Mike, I have a tendency to do things I would not normally do.
15. Once when on our way home from his birthday party, he convinced me that it would be totally normal for us to take all of our clothes off except our underwear and put the top down (thankfully, in August).
16. I did just that. Thankfully, we were not pulled over.
17. When I was single, I frequented JRs and still dressed in preppy clothes.
18. I once actually said, “You have a nice ass. I’d love to fuck it.”
19. His response was, "Um, tempting, but no thanks".
20. I came in second place in the Fairfax County Intermediate School Science Fair in 1979.
21. I drive very, VERY fast.
22. I own an SLK that I can't really afford. :-)
23. My favorite city so far is Rome.
24. My favorite season is Spring, but I love Fall too. Unfortunately, in DC, we get about 3 days of each every year.
25. I have a strange talent for remembering numbers. (Go figure the career move.)
26. I used to have potential boyfriends just tell me their phone number in the bar, and I would recall it later.
27. I named my blog because no one ever sees me really mad.
28. I played in the band in high school.
29. My instrument was the skin flute (no seriously, alto sax).
30. I used to hate marching band practice in August but lied to my mother to make her happy.
31. I was quiet in High School until I came “out of my shell” during my senior year.
32. I tried out for and placed in County Chorus, and then was alternate to state chorus, which infuriated me.
33. I was a chorus member in Damn Yankees my senior year.
34. I was mercilously picked on by a guy in junior high school and early high school named Chris Cherba.
35. I heard he had gone to prison. I now see that he is dead.
36. When I initially told my mother I was gay, she ran to the bathroom, threw up, and then said something about wishing I hadn't been born (she later apologized for this remark, but it stuck with me).
37. I am pretty liberal.
38. Given my history, it would be wise of me to never run for public office.
39. When I was at college, "Quarterflash" came to our campus.
40. Today, I couldn't name one song they were 'famous' for..
41. When I was a single gay man, I went out frequently, and generally got lucky.
42. I used to always hear in the bar that I was "intimidating", which is just so not the truth.
43. I have always had a peculiar fascination with Britney Spears (prior to her current hot mess state).
44. I wanted to play the trumpet in elementary school but my dad wanted me to play sax.
45. I took private lessons on piano until I was a sophomore in high school, at which point I stopped to focus on high school choir.
46. I had bad allergies as a child, and had shots until I was 17.
47. Every year, I came down with bronchitis between 2 to 6 times.
48. I missed my brother's high school graduation because I had bronchitis in June of 1979.
49. I have one brother who is 4.5 years older than me.
50. When we were kids, we used to get along; we had a period in our teens where we didn't care for each other much, but we are okay now. All surface stuff, of course.
51. I worked in a pharmacy from the time I was 16 until I was 22.
52. My first job title was clerk.
53. My last job where I made absolutely no money was Accounting Manager for SHRM. It was under my worst boss EVER.
54. I did not try my first taste of alcohol until I was 18 years old.
55. The first guy I really liked was one of my best friends who handled my telling him I liked him really well (for a southern baptist guy). He just simply told me we couldn't be friends anymore.
56. He was the first guy to ever break my heart (but, unfortunately, not the last).
57. I told the first guy I ever slept with that I felt that I had turned to Satan (or something equally stupid).
58. I generally prefer to be a top. Every time I used to pick someone up, they would turn out to be the same. It got to the point where I asked in the first 5 minutes of conversation.
59. I love Mika, so shoot me.
60. I am really bummed out that I did not get to see him in DC, even though my friend had tickets and asked me at the last minute.
61. My usual karaoke repertoire includes "I Can't Help Falling in Love With You" by Elvis.
62. Straight women swoon when I do this at straight bars.
63. I once had a woman ask me out in St. Thomas after singing this song.
64. My first 45 purchase was "Rock Around the Clock". Shut up, it was old then, too!
65. I played it nonstop for 6 months.
66. I love to hate the Redskins. Actually, I love them, but they are painful to watch.
67. As much as I love going, I do not go to the theater NEARLY enough.
68. The first show I attended (with my mother) was Phantom.
69. And she wonders why I am gay. Hello, tragic unrequited love story, much?!??
70. I like country music.
71. That being said, I cannot stand some of these 'patriotic' country songs of late.
72. I want to be Mrs. Kenny Chesney.
73. I first saw Madonna in concert during the Blond Ambition tour.
74. If she tours her next album, I will SO go.
75. Auntie Mame is one of my favorite movies (shock).
76. During the Oscars, I noted that I had not seen a single movie nominated in any of the major categories.
77. I also tend to like silly parodies as well as movies commonly referred to as chick flicks.
78. I tend to like heavy dramas a LOT more than Ken.
79. I have never seen Titanic.
80. I love old movies, but rarely watch them.
81. I do not like Wal-Mart and I avoid shopping there. It helps that there isn't one near my house. :)
82. Stephen R. Donaldson is the author that made me enjoy reading. I was SO into that whole Thomas Covenant series.
83. I read about a book a week or so.
84. I am currently slogging my way through "The Inheritance of Loss" by Kiran Desai. I actually might stop reading it soon (as was the fate of only one other book in my life, "Generation X" by Douglas Coupland) as I am halfway through the book and NOTHING of interest has happened. It is painful.
85. I have a subscription to Vanity Fair.
86. I would love to go to Paris at least once in my life.
87. I would love to wear men’s couture, but cannot afford it (and would look ridiculous in it, at my age).
88. I love the Showtime series "Weeds".
89. I sing with the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington. Yeah, I know, I'm fading here. :)
90. In high school, I was often mocked by the other kids because I had braces and acne.
91. After high school, several of the kids who made fun of me told me how amazingly gorgeous I had become. When superlatives were re-done at my 20th anniversary, I was named to stand with the old school hot guys who were renominated for "best looking". I went to the stage, flipped off the entire assemblage, and then went back to my table. I still do not find myself attractive.
92. I LOVE dark chocolate.
93. I love to make homemade cheesecake for special occasions. I have a raspberry swirl one that is consistently met with high marks.
94. I have what I like to refer to as a "two butt kitchen".
95. I love to entertain in my home.
96. I am known for throwing good parties with plenty of booze, fun people and great food.
97. I have been called evil on occasion.
98. I am very open-minded when it comes to food.
99. I love my parents. That is quite a statement, considering how I felt for MANY years about my Dad, but I understand now that he did the best he could with what he was given.
100. I like to be with my friends and Ken, but I have come to value my private time as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home