Monday, May 08, 2006

Good weekend

Friday was good, my new dining room table from Storehouse (seen here) arrived, so it was a good day. Of course, I completely expected it to be broken down into several boxes, so I took the BMW over to Laurel to pick it up from the warehouse (delivery was $75 extra, I figured it was worth it to go around the beltway). Well, to my surprise, it actually only came in two boxes, the base and the top, so naturally the top was as big as the X3... certainly wouldn't fit inside it. The guy was nice enough to help me put it on top, but then said in heavily accented english "we can no help you tie; insurance no allow"...

Well, shit. I certainly don't remember my knot tying from boy scouts NOW! What I wound up doing was moving the car out of everyone's way and tying it down about 20 different ways. It still could move about 3 inches back and forth, but I was fairly certain it wouldn't just take off. Luckily for me, it weighed in at about 100 pounds, so it weighed itself down. The only way I know to get home from there is using back roads, but I had to get to them which meant a brief stint on 95 and a brief stint on 29, both of which are 55 mph (traffic zooms by at 70 mph, usually). It was rather harrowing at times, and I am fairly certain that I aged by about a year on the trip, but I made it. Then, of course, I had to wait for a friend to come over before getting it inside... It looks beautiful! One inch bigger and it would be too big for the room it is in, but it looks good. I think due to the annoyance factor, I may move one of the chairs to the side of the room, because there is only room for one person to walk behind it and the counter of the kitchen....

Phone interview went (I think) well on Friday. They are a smaller group, so I inquired about their ability to pay me what I need; he said that he was hoping to craft a "creative compensation agreement" with whomever they get for the job to tie it in to revenue over the next couple of years... not sure about that. Also, the process that they are going through for this position is murderous; first, phone interviews for 10-15 people, inviting back 5-6 for interviews with about 5(!) people, then 0ne or two to come in to meet with the president of the group. That is insane. :)

Went out Friday night to welcome the SF boys to town; they were nice, but (perhaps, surprisingly) not nearly as friendly or attractive as the HMC boys. There was one cutie, but he was so self absorbed I had no desire to go there. :) Only stayed out a short bit and got home early.

Rehearsal pre concert Saturday was *dreadful*. Seriously. Bad. But, as they say in theatre, "bad dress, good opening". The show was great, and there were a couple moments we actually hit that collective brain thing, where we kind of "borg" sing.... it was very nice. I made it through my solo, thank Jesus, so it wasn't too bad. Only one major F up and the group as a whole did it, and apparently the audience didn't notice, so.... all in all, a good thing. After party was at the Beacon hotel bar, which was nice, except for the fact that they had run out of premium vodka by the time I got there. Hello, if you have 100 gay men coming, stock up on your grey goose and ketel one, darlings....

Yesterday was a "double rehearsal", meaning one from 2-5 and one from 6:30-9:30... Naturally, I only went to the first. Enough chorus for one weekend!

Today is really a crappy day in DC, high only in the low 50s and really rainy. We definitely need the rain in a big way, I just wish it were a tad warmer. I totally cannot get into work today, I don't know if its a function of the bad weather or if I am just highly tired and need more rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home