Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Weekly boring update

I am such a terrible blogger. I mean, I update like weekly. If anyone actually gave a rat’s ass about the (mostly negative and whiny crap, but I am vowing to change that) stuff I post, they would have to wait a while in between actual posts. Oh well, such is the life of a career professional (and totally full-time lazy-assed shit).

I have been doing very well in one regard in changing my behavior, and that is forcing myself to get to the gym. I have been making sure to make it 3-4 times a week. On Monday, after continual non gains in the size of my arms, I decided to just throw as much weight on as I thought I could do maybe 4-6 reps and try that. I think it may have worked, and I may change up my workout to do this. I always heard more reps = tone and less equals bulk, so I think I finally have got it. I was doing drop sets of preacher curls for instance, starting with 12 reps at 90 pounds, and dropping down 5 pounds at a time (12 reps each) until I wound up at 70 pounds. While I think I was definitely building my strength, I don’t think I was increasing my arm size. So, this being said, on Monday, I just threw on 110 pounds, and did about 10-12 reps on the first lift, but this kind of killed my arms, so I kept the 110 on and did maybe 8 the second time and about 6 on the third. I did the same with chest, etc (yes, I know, I should not be working arms and chest on the same day, quite well aware, tyvm). Anyway, I felt a difference yesterday. I think I am on to something. ☺

Of course, this type of lifting is EXACTLY what leads to injury. Hopefully I can stick to not hurting myself.

Oh how timely! Ken just forwarded and email of an article in Men’s Fitness about increasing growth in biceps. It says, basically, preacher curls and concentration curls (sitting on bench, elbow locked against knee) make it easier on the arm to lift big weight, getting big “pump” without tearing down the muscle much. It says to grow arms quickly to switch to incline curls (alternating curls while seated back on an incline bench). If Craig Ballantyne, C.S.C.S. (whatever that is) says its true, then it MUST BE! lol

So, I went to mypyramid.gov/index.html, as my little wellness class instructor told me to yesterday, and entered all of the food I ate yesterday. How fucking telling was this? First of all, I am not getting enough calories per the requirements (oooh, that reminds me, I didn’t enter the martini I had with my boss last night to celebrate her birthday, that probably throws me over the 2600 I am supposed to get), and secondly, I am getting too many calories from fat, and not enough of pretty much everything else, vitamins, etc… I also take a multivitamin so need to enter that I suppose. Lastly, the site is a total pain in the ass. If you eat a salad you make for lunch, for example, you have to enter exactly how much lettuce, how many cherry tomatoes, how much dressing, how much EVERYTHING. Kind of a pain, but understandable.

Anne’s (boss) husband got her a faboo silver/diamond ring for her birthday. It kind of looks like a puzzle ring (but isn’t, its fixed in place) with little diamonds all around the bands. For my birthday I generally get very small items, because Ken pleads poverty. (Last year, 40, was the exception, he threw a wonderful surprise party with most of my friends in attendance, it was very nice.) So, there’s one month + till my birthday, wonder what I will get? ☺

Speaking of Ken, he is out of town Sunday through Wednesday, PARTY! Of course, I have rehearsal Sunday and Tuesday, and having dinner with Peter (fellow chief with Ken at the squad) Monday, so I don’t think much of a party will ensue…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home